- Admissions for 2017-18 is on. Application Sales Started.
- Admissions open for MCA 2017 - 18 Lateral Entry. Seats are available
- "23rd College Day was celebrated on 18thMarch 2017" at 10.00 am in the college Auditorium - Jaladampet Campus.
- "11th Asan Video Awards 2017" was organised on 09th March 2017 "- Jaladampet Campus. Chief Guest was Mr.Balaji Tharaneetharan, Film Director.
- International Women's Day Celebration "ASAN MAHILA 2K17"was celebrated on "8th March 2017 " in the college auditorium - Jaladampet Campus.
Department of Microbiology
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE DEPARTMENT
Microbiology – Most important and fascinating field in Biology; Courses offered comprise of the basic and applied aspects of various branches of Microbiology (viz., Medical, Agricultural, Environmental, Food, Industrial Microbiology, Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Genetic Engineering, etc.). Bright scope for placements in hospitals, academic institutions, industries, corporates, etc. Opportunities for higher education in emerging branches of Lifesciences and Basic Medical Sciences in India and abroad.
Laboratory Facilities – State-of-the Art Laboratory recognized as one of the best among various colleges of university of Madras. • Excellent infrastructure with well-furnished lab sections fully equipped with advanced sophisticated instruments like UV-Vis Spectrophotometer, ELISA Reader, Walk-in-Cold room, Walk-in-Incubator room, PCR Machine, Sequencing and Gel Documentation system, Refrigerated Centrifuge, Phase Contrast/Dark Field/Tissue Culture Microscopes, etc. • Air conditioned individual lab sections for Bacteriology, Mycology, Parasitology, Virology and Molecular Biology.
Faculty – Highly qualified teaching faculty with creditable teaching and research experience. • Technically qualified Non-teaching staff with good laboratory practical experience.
Academics and Research – The best curriculum prescribed by University of Madras covering all the fields of Microbiology and comprehensive training. • Effective teaching with modern teaching aids viz., LCD projector, Computer, animated CDs and on-line informations. • Guest lectures by Eminent University Professors, Renowned Scientists and Industrialists. • Conduct of regular subject oriented workshops, training programmes / internship in research institutes and industries. • Opportunities for collaborative research work in reputed industries / University Departments
Co-curricular Activities – International / National / Regional level Seminar, Symposia and Workshops are conducted every year. • Outreach programme, Awareness programme and Exhibition, etc., are conducted as a part of extension activities. • Community services such as diagnostic works, water analysis, soil testing, compost making, mushroom cultivation, etc., are conducted.
Student support Programmes & Career Guidance – Library facility (both College and Department level) with elaborate collection of books and journals. • Conduct of Personality Development programmes by Professional trainers. • Motivation and guidance given for presentation and publication of research papers in Conferences and Journals of National and International category. • Guidance for higher studies in India and abroad.
Placements – Regular conduct of placement programmes. • Assistance for placement in Multinational companies, Hospitals, Pharmaceutical and Food processing industries, Fertilizer industries, Breweries, Refineries etc.
Admissions – Affordable fee structure and flexible mode of payment. • No capitation.
Courses Offered and Eligibility for Admission
|Programme||Eligibility for Admission|
|B.Sc. MICROBIOLOGY||A candidate shall be admitted to the course provided he/she has passed a +2 with Biology subject|
|M.Sc. APPLIED MICROBIOLOGY||A candidate shall be admitted to the course provided he/she has passed a B.Sc.,in Zoology/Botany/Chemistry/Biochemistry/Microbiology/Home Science any other branch of Lifesciences of any recognized University.|
|M.Phil. MICROBIOLOGY||A Master's degree in Microbiology/ Applied Microbiology/ Medical Microbiology/Industrial Microbiology with a minimum of 55% of marks.|
Dr. (Mrs). S. Kanimozhi, M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D. Associate Professor & H o D
Dr. M. Alagusundaram ,M.Sc., Ph.D. Associate Professor
Dr. (Mrs). V.Jeyanthi , M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D. Associate Professor
Dr. I. Arulpandi, M.Sc., Ph.D. Assistant Professor
Dr. R.Sankar , M.Sc., Ph.D. Assistant Professor
Mrs.B.Umamaheswari, M.Sc., M.Phil. Assistant Professor
Dr. K.Gautam, M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D. Assistant Professor
Mrs.N.Shyamala , M.Sc., M.Phil. Assistant Professor
UNIVERSITY RANKS SECURED BY THE STUDENTS OF DEPARTMENT OF         MICROBIOLOGY
For more Details....
Students Participation & Achievements
2016 - 17
- • Ms.Kiran Srinivasan of III.B.Sc Microbiology received the Shri A.K.Gopalan Endowment award for the Best Outgoing Student Award in the College Annual Day function on 18.03.2017 for the academic year 2016-2017.
- • Mr.Cliff Baros of I.B.Sc Microbiology received prize for the Best Volunteer in NSS.
- • Ms.Kiran Srinivasan of III.B.Sc Microbiology received the Justice K.Sankaran Memorial Endowment Award for academic excellence in the College Annual Day function on 18.03.2017 for the academic year 2016-2017.
- • Ms.P.Jeevajothi of III.B.Sc Microbiology received certificate of appreciation in the College Annual Day function on 18.03.2017 for securing 100% marks in Biostatistics in the University semester examination held in March/April-2016.
- • Two students, Ms.Karthiga.G and Ms.Ahana.D from I.M.Sc Applied Microbiology received certificate of appreciation in the College Annual Day function on 18.03.2017 for securing 100% attendance during the academic year 2016-2017.
- • Five students from U.G and P.G Microbiology received the proficiency prize in the College Annual Day function on 18.03.2017.
- • Three students from the department participated in the Literary Competition conducted by the English Department and Won prizes.
- • Two students Ms.Devika and M.Chithra of I.B.Sc Microbiology participated in Rally, Cleaning and Awareness held in Pallikaranai Marsh Land , organized by Tamil Nadu Forest Department from 9.03.2017 to 15.03.2017.
- • Ms.Naveena of I.B.Sc Microbiology won two III prizes in a French event Pot-Pourri and Treasure Hunt at Fete a la Foret 2017 conducted by Madras Christian College on 9.03.2017.
- • Ms.Naveena of I.B.Sc Microbiology won II prize in a French event Melangez l air at Fete a la Foret 2017 conducted by Madras Christian College on 9.03.2017.
- • Three students from M.Phil Microbiology Ms.Jayashree.R, Ms.Lakshmi Sindhuja & Ms.Laxmi Devi.M participated two days workshop on Techniques in Diagnostic Microbiology conducted by the Department of Microbiology, Dr.A.L.Mudaliar Post Graduate Institute of Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras, Taramani,Chennai on 1.03.2017 & 2.03.2017.
- • Students of I M.Sc Applied Microbiology attended a seminar on Emerging Trends in Ecomicrobes-2016 ETIEM-2016 on 20th Feb 2016 organized by The Department of Microbiology, New Prince ShriBhavani College of Arts & Science.
- Students of B.Sc Microbiology has participated in Quiz, Word Search & Photography competitions organized during the Environmental Studies Exhibition “EVS-EXPO ‘17” Conducted by the Department of Business Administration, Asan Memorial College of Arts & Science on 17.02.2017.
- • EVS-EXPO 17-Conducted by BBA Department Ms.Swathi of III B.Sc Microbiology has won I prize in Quiz competition organized during the Environmental Studies Exhibition “EVS-EXPO ‘17” Conducted by the Department of Business Administration,Asan Memorial College of Arts & Science on 17.02.2017.
- • Eight students of the Department Ms.D.Ahana & Ms.P.Kalpana (I M.Sc Applied Microbiology), Ms.Kiran Srinivasan (III.B.Sc Microbiology), Ms.R.Sheeba & Ms.R.Gayathri (II.B.Sc Microbiology) and Ms.P.Anitha, Ms.S.Jenitha & Ms.S.Logapriyanka (I.B.Sc Microbiology) received the Certificate of Appreciation towards their service as volunteer at the International Seminar in Tamil held on 12.02.2017 at Asan Memorial College of Arts & Science.
- • Two students of I B.Sc Microbiology, Ms.Gayathri.M.B and Ms.Farheen Banu won third prize in the patriotic song competition in “HINDOTSAHAS-17” held on 8-02-2017 conducted by Hindustan College of Arts & Science, Padur ,Chennai.
- • Five students of B.Sc Microbiology, Ms.E.Kowsalya ,Ms.T.Saro Golda, Ms.V.Rohini, Ms.C.Ramya Devi (III.B.Sc Microbiology) and Ms.S.Sivagami (I.B.Sc Microbiology) participated in Tamil Essay Writing Competition conducted by Bhagwan Mahaveer Foundation held on 31.01.2017.
- • Two students of M.Phil Microbiology Ms.Mayenbam Laxmi Devi and Ms.Jayashree participated in the National Seminar on “Career Prospects in Life Sciences” at Ethiraj College for Women organized by the Department of Microbiology on 31.01.2017.
- • Seven students of I.B.Sc Microbiology, Ms.Kalavathi.K, Dhivya Dharshini.K. Madhumitha.M, Archana Behera, Uma Maheswari.K, Bhuvaneshwari.J and Cliff Baros.S, participated in “Chennai Walkthon 2017” organized by Gandhi World Foundation, with the theme “ Walking a Mile makes you Smile” to spread the awareness on walking and its benefits at Marina Beach on the 69th Memorial Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi on 30.01.2017.
- • Ms.S.Sivagami of I.B.Sc Microbiology won I prize in tamil Elocution on the celebration of Dr.A.P.J.Abdul Kalam conducted by Asan Memorial College of Arts & Science on 15.10.2016.
- • Two students of II.B.Sc Microbiology ,Mr.B.Gopinath & Mr.Guruprasad participated in the event Logo Designing an interdepartment programme “addiction” conducted by the Department of Visual Communication , Asan Memorial College of Arts & Science on 06.10.2016 & 07.10.2016.
- • Two students of II.B.Sc Microbiology, Mr.S.Gunaseelan and Mr.N.Aravind participated in a Cycle Rally conducted by the TamilNadu Government on the occasion of the birthday celebration of Mahatma Gandhi on 02.10.2016 organized by NSS of Asan Memorial College of Arts & Science to insist National intergrity, peace and untouchability among students. Three students of M.Phil Microbiology, Ms.Jeyasree, Ms.Lakshmi Sinduja and Ms.Laxmi attended two days National Conference on Environment, Food Safety and Predictive Modeling at School of Life Sciences, Department of Microbiology, VELS University,Pallavaram, Chennai on 04.10.2016 & 05.10.2016.
- • Ten students from III.B.Sc Microbiology participated in the events treasure Hunt, Poster & Paper presentation of “Micromatsuri”2K16 organized by D.G.Vaishnav College, Arumbakkam, Chennai on 28.09.2016.
- • Forty women students of II.B.Sc & III.B.Sc Microbiology attended a seminar organized by Rexona Confidence Academy at Asan Memorial College of Arts & Science on 29.09.2016.
- • 31 students of II.B.Sc Microbiology and 2 staff members made an academic industrial visit to Central Leather Research Institute at Adayar,Chennai on 23.09.2016. They acquired knowledge on the functioning and maintenance of various sophisticated instruments in various Departments.
- • Ms.Sridevi of II.M.Sc Applied Microbiology participated in the two days National Conference ‘BIOCONSORTIUM” organized by the Department of Microbiology, Madras Christian College, Chennai on 21.09.2016 & 22.09.2016.
- DETAILS OF ORAL PRESENTATION IN THE 14TH NATIONAL CONFERENCE OF IAAM ON 9th & 10 th AUGUST – 2016
- • 4 M.Phil students of the Department presented papers in the 14th Indian Association of Applied Microbiologists Conference on "Transitional & Translational Scenario in Biological Sciences" held at Dr.N.G.P. Arts & Science College, Coimbatore on 9.09.2016 & 10.09.2016.
- • Five students of III.B.Sc Microbiology (Mr.Sakthi, Mr.Manikandan, Mr.Prakash, Ms.Saragolda & Ms.Kowsalya ) and four students of I.B.Sc Microbiology (Ms.Keerthana, Ms.Anitha, Ms.Madhumitha & Ms.Bhuvaneshwari) put-up food stalls , game and handmade jewellery stalls in the Onachanda organized by Asan Memorial College of Arts & Science held in the eve of Onam Celebration on 07.09.2016.
- • Six students from the Department of Microbiology (Ms.Rajalakshmi & Ms.Renjitha-I.M.Sc, Ms.Kalaivani & Ms.Ramyadevi -III. B.Sc, Ms.Dhivya Dharshini.& Mr.T.G.Ajithkumar-I.B.Sc) won III prize in Pookalam competition conducted by Asan Memorial College of Arts & Science held in the eve of Onam Celebration on 07.09.2016.
- • Gowsalya Saminathan of B.Sc. Microbiology 2013-2016 batch secured University I Rank in Microbiology and Manisha Elizabeth Varghese secured University IIIrd rank.
- • Mr.T.G.Ajithkumar of I.B.Sc Microbiology participated in ‘NADI’ Literary Competitions 2016 organized by the Department of Malayalam of Asan Memorial College of Arts & Science on 24.08.2016.
- • Mr.Gopinath.B and Mr.Sujin.P of II.B.Sc Microbiology won second prize in quiz competition held in the eve of Madras Day Celebrations organized by the Asan Rotaract Club of Asan Memorial College of Arts & Science on 24.08.2016.
- • Ms.Farzana of III.B.Sc Microbiology participated in the Essay competition organized by Asan Rotract Club held in the eve of Madras Day Celebrations on 24 .08.2016.
- • Ms.Kiran Srinivasan of III B.Sc Microbiology and Mr.B.Gopinath of II.B.Sc Microbiology participated in the programme “WINNING EDGE” and obtained the award of WINNER at the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards programme organized by Rotary Club of Madras South in association with Born to Win Learning Services,Chennai on 20.08.2016.
- • Ms.Aishwariya and Ms.L.K.Divya of III B.Sc Microbiology participated in the one day workshop on Enhancement of Employability Skills organized by Asan Institute of Management on 17.08.2016.
- • Mr.Guru Prasath of II.B.Sc Microbiology and Mr.T.G.Ajithkumar of I.B.Sc Microbiology participated in ‘SOUS’ 16 an Intercollegiate Literary Meet at Hindustan College of Arts & Science on 17.08.2016.
- • Ms.Kiran Srinivasan of III B.Sc Microbiology has been elected as secretary for the Rotaract Club of Asan Memorial College of Arts & Science.
- • Mr.Senthamizh, Mr.Jeevanandam and Ms.Kiran Srinivasan of III B.Sc Microbiology participated in the activities of Rotaract of towards cancer patients at RMD palliative Care at Maduravoil on 15.08.2016.
- • Four students of III B.Sc Microbiology Ms.Kiran Srinivasan, Ms.Farzana, Ms.Elizabeth and Ms.Swathi participated in Swatch Bharath conducted at University of Madras followed by International Youth Day celebrations and competitions.
- • Five students of III B.Sc. Microbiology Ms.Sheeba, Ms.Kalavani, Ms.Elizabeth, Ms.Vatchala Devi, Ms.Sara Golda and Ms.Swathi participated in Connections event conducted in Shasun Shreyas 2016 at Shri Sankarlal Sundarbai Shesan College at T.Nagar on 11.08.2016. They won third prize in Connections.
- • Two students of I B.Sc. Microbiology Ms.Naveena, Mr.Alphonse Jose Raj and Mr.Guruprasad of II B.Sc. Microbiology participated in various competitions conducted in French at Gurunanak College, Guindy on 09.08.2016. Ms.Naveena of I B.Sc. won first prize in Dumb Charades.
- • Ms.Naveena of I B.Sc. Microbiology won third prize in Dumb Charades in French at Shri Sankarlal Sundarbai Shesan College at T.Nagar on 06.08.2016.
- • Ms.Kiran Srinivasan of III B.Sc Microbiology participated in TRIO RALLY ON INCOME DECLARATION SCHEME 2016 by the Government of India conducted by District Council 16-17 at Elliots Beach, Chennai on 31.07.2016.
- • Three students of II.B.Sc Microbiology- Mr. R.Bharath Kumar, Mr. S.Karthik, Ms.R.Sheeba and Ms. S.Radhai participated in the World Population Day 2016 Rally held on 11.07.2016 conducted by the Department of Family Welfare.
- • Three students of II.B.Sc Microbiology- Mr. R.Bharath Kumar, Mr. S.Karthik, Ms.R.Sheeba and Ms. S.Radhai participated in the Awareness Rally organised by Indian Red Cross Society,Tamil Nadu Branch on the eve of International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking held on 24. 06.2016.
- • Four students of II.B.Sc Microbiology- Mr. R.Bharath Kumar, Mr. S.Karthik, Ms.R.Sheeba and Ms. S.Radhai participated in the National Service Scheme (NSS) camp (“Healthy Youth for Healthy India’’) conducted by Asan Memorial College from 22/6/2016 till 28/6/2016. The Various events in which the students involved are the following,
Participated in the Cleanliness Programme of Medavakkam Social Welfare Building and an awareness rally on Cleanliness at Medavakkam on 22.06.2016.
Participated in the Awareness Rally at Marina Beach under the Gandhiji’s Clean India Program and a drive was conducted, to hear the grievances among the Women and senior Citizens, in Medavakkam on 23. 06.2016.
Participated in the Campaign organised with regard to “International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking held on 26. 06.2016.
Participated in the Rally on “Green Kalam’’ peace procession conducted under the leadership of its President Mr. Vivek. The procession was carried out from Kannagi Statue in the Marina Beach Road till Queen Mary’s College. Participation in the procession fetched one hundred tree saplings for the college.
Cleaning the premises of Library and Panchayat Office within the Medavakkam Village limits and Rally on Road Safety, organized between Medavakkam and Medavakkam Koot Road on 25.06.2016.
Participated in the Debate on the topic “Eradication of Drinking and Usage of Drugs”, held at D.J Vaishnava College, Arumbakkam in the presence of top police officials on 26.06.2016.
Visited and helped the underprivileged students in the Bala Vihar School, Kilpakkam on 27.06.2016.
Participated in SWACHH BHARAT PAKHWADA-2016 organised by Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited which insisted to bring in the habit of clean India among the Younger Generation.
Participated in the discussion with the Principal, Asan Memorial College and Mr. Baskar, Chief Secretary, NSS on 28.06.2016.
- • Three students from B.Sc Microbiology participated in Pot Puri competition held at M.O.P.Vaishnav College on 30th September 2016.
2015 - 16
2014 - 15
2013 - 14
2012 - 13
Ms. S.Jamesammal ,Mr.B.Nirmal Quiz Competition Consolation prize
Ms.Neema Kumari ,Ms.Shivangi Saha Cross Word II Prize
2011 - 12
Staff Participation & Publications
2016 - 17
2015 - 16
2014 - 15
2013 - 14
2011 - 12
2016 - 17
I.B.Sc Microbiology -15.2.2017 to 17.2.2017 (9.00am-2.00pm)
I.B.Sc Microbiology -15.2.2017 to 17.2.2017 (9.00am-2.00pm)
III.B.Sc Microbiolo -22.2.2017 to 24.2.2017 (9.00am-2.00pm)
M.Sc Applied Microbiology-22.2.2017 to 24.2.2017 (9.00am-2.00pm).