- Admissions for 2017-18 is on. Application Sales Started.
- Admissions open for MCA 2017 - 18 Lateral Entry. Seats are available
- "23rd College Day was celebrated on 18thMarch 2017" at 10.00 am in the college Auditorium - Jaladampet Campus.
- "11th Asan Video Awards 2017" was organised on 09th March 2017 "- Jaladampet Campus. Chief Guest was Mr.Balaji Tharaneetharan, Film Director.
- International Women's Day Celebration "ASAN MAHILA 2K17"was celebrated on "8th March 2017 " in the college auditorium - Jaladampet Campus.
About the Department
The Department of Visual Communication incorporates the latest trends in Communication. Established in the year 2004, the department was started with a broad range, enriching the individual student to flourish rapidly in the developing field of Media and Communication
Highlights of the Visual Communication
The Visual Communication department, through a three-year UG course, educate students to communicate with an aesthetic curvature of mind.
The winning edge of the department is the exclusive combination of one-to-one pedagogy, contemporary curriculum, high-end infrastructure, first hand industry exposure and a creative working atmosphere
Students are given specialized training in free hand drawing.
Lab work is supplemented with field trips and study tours. Interactive Sessions with Experts in different fields of Communication enable the department to have links with industries.
B.Sc Visual Communication
+2 pass in any group from academic/vocational stream or its equivalent recognized by University of Madras
Faculty Members of the Department
- Dr.P.Sri Jothi, M.Sc., M.Phil., Ph.D -(H.O.D)
- Mr.K.Vinay Kumar, MFA. Assistant Professor
- Mr.S.Pragadeeshvel, MA. Assistant Professor
- Mr.N.Ashok Kumar, B.Sc. D.F.Tech. Assistant Professor
- Mrs.M.S.Aby, B.Sc., BA, M.Sc., SET. Assistant Professor
- Ms.J.Sakila,M.A.,- Assistant Professor
- The Department of Visual Communication has excellent multimedia laboratory facilities, audio and video studios equipped with the latest technology to offer hands-on training to students.
- The library of the department has a wide range of books on Journalism, Audio production and presentation, Video Production, Lighting techniques, Video Camera handling, Non-linear Editing, Advertising, Corporate Communication, Media Management, Web Designing, Graphics, Multimedia, Visual effects, and Media Research methods.
- Equipments : Sophisticated equipments with latest technology of still and motion cameras for Photography and Television Production.
- Laboratory : A Drawing Lab entirely furnished with a comfortable working ambiance,and Equipped Lab.
- Studio : Acoustically Treated Studio for Still Photography, Video Production and Film Review/Appreciation
- Edit Control Room : Installed with Latest Video and Audio editing Software.
Students Achievements (2016-2017)
- Mr. Delip kumar, II year Viscom student won I prize in Drawing competition held in MGR Janaki College of Arts and Science, Chennai.
- Mr. Delip kumar, II year Viscom student won I prize, I yr students Mr. Ajithkumar won II prize and Mr. Muthukrishnan won III prize in Drawing competition organised by Tamilnadu forest department, Chennai.
- Mr.Sree Hari, I yr viscom student won I prize in Hindi poetry competition held in Hindustan University
- II yr viscom students Mr. Yuvaraj won III prize and Mr. Imran Khan, won II prize in EVS photography competition conducted by our college.
- Mr. Joel Xavier, II yr viscom student won 2nd place in group singing competition held in Thiruthangal Nadar College.
- Mr. Akash and Mr.Sudharsan, II year students won 1st Prize in poster designing competition in FORLA fest 17’ held on 25/02/2017, at Loyola college, Chennai.
- Mr. Lingeshwaran, I year student won III Prize in Nakshatra 2017, cultural event held on 23/02/2017, at Vels University, Chennai.
- Mr. Antony Rufus, I yr student won III prize in Nakshatra 2017, cultural event held on 23/02/2017, at Vels University, Chennai.
- III year Visual Communication students has successfully completed one month internship programme in various media organisation namely News 7, Zee Tamil, D frames entertainment, Raj TV, Behind the Cinemas (Web Channel), Satyam TV, Doordarshan, Vijay TV, News18, Indo-Asian news channel, Forward media (Magazine), Red crab photography studio.
- Mr. Yacoob, CEO, Media Miracle advertisement company was invited for the guest interactive session to share the industry trend and his experience.
- Mr. Imran Khan, II year Viscom student won II prize in Photography competition and Mr. Lingeswaran won I prize in adapt tune dance competition Phantasia 2016 held on 24th September in Patrician College of Arts and Science, Chennai
- International Tiger day was celebrated on 29th July in our collage campus, in the part of event II year Viscom students performed a street play to create awareness of Save Tigers and also designed posters and art work.
- Our department participated in ‘Genesis 2016’ event on 11th and 12th August in Asan Memorial School.
- Organized a seminar on 12th July, 2016 for III year students, about Channel Promotion and Programme production techniques, presented by Mr. Franklin On Air Promotion Head, and Mr. Tholkappiam Sr. Programme Producer, Pudhiya thalaimurai News Channel, Chennai.
- Ms. Roshini and Ms. Vani I year Visual communication students won III prize in Cooking without fire competition held on 6-8-2016, at SSS Jain College for Women, Chennai.
- Mr. Delip kumar II year Visual communication students won I prize in Youth Empowerment Drawing Competition for International Youth Day 2016 held on 12-08-2016 at University of Madras.
- Organized a seminar on 13th July, 2016 for II year students, about Adobe Indesign techniques, presented by Mr. Balasubramaniam and Ms. Archana, Opportunity Infortech,Chennai.
- Organized a Guest lecture on 26th July, 2016 for II year students, about Printing Technology presented by Mr. Niaz Ahmed, Assistant Professor, Vels University, Chennai.
- As a part of co-curricular activities in the department Movie club has been started for the III yr students to get exposure to various international movies, where they gain knowledge in script, screenplay, movement and other more technical aspects. As an initiative Million Dollar Baby was screened on 24/06/2016 in the department.
- III year students were assigned to take photographs of various college events including AKG Public school Fancy dress competition, NSS camp, I year orientation.
Activities for Jan - Feb 2017
Activities for October- January 2016
Activities for September-October 2016
Activities for July-August 2016
Activities for June - July 2016
Students Achievements (2014-2015)
- Mr. Akshay Gopal, I year, won III prize, Malayalam Poetry Writing competition SOUL’ 15, held at Hindustan College of Arts and Science.
- Ms. Reshma and Ms.Swathi III year won I prize, “Kuttu” dance and also bagged the III prize in the Western dance competitions of the event, KALINGA 2015 held at Prof. Dhanapalan College of Arts and Science.
- Mr. Ranoje, III year, won III prize in Poster design competition, in the event EPITES 2015, held at Dhanapalan Engineering College Chennai. Mr. Vivekanandan, III year, won III prize in the online photography competition in the same event.
- Ms Swathi, III year and Ms.Akila, I Year, won III prize in the Group Singing competition held at SSS Jain Womens College.
- Ms.Reshma, Mr.Rahul and Ms.Siva Jothi of the III year, won III prize in Group Dance competition in the cultural fest held at St. Thomas college of Arts and Science.
- Mr. Imran Khan I year won, II prize in the photography competition, Hindutsav 2016 held at Hindustan College of Arts and Science.
- Mr. Karthick. A, I year student won III prize in the ‘Adaptune’ dance, Saveetha University, Chennai. He also won II prize in solo dance competition held at Mohammed Sathak College of Arts and Science.
- Mr. Karthick. A and Imran Khan of I year won III prize in the Group dance competition.
For more activities Click here
Workshop and Seminars
- “PANORA” (Photography exhibition cum contest) an event organized by the department of visual communication that is dedicated for photography enthusiastic students in the college. Our III yr student works have been exhibited and this year the students have taken the initiative of transforming the event to creative aspects by introducing different thematic concepts like Macro, Silhouette, Light and shades and Super impose. Mr. Prabhu, Photographer from Highlight photography and Mr. Sriram, Video Journalist from News 18 were invited as chief guest for the event, held on 7th October, Friday. The winners of the contest were awarded with the certificates and prizes.
- Chief Mentor Mr. Sethumadhavan and respected Principal inaugurated the event AD-Diction and released the lab journal Asan Visual Times and interacted with the budding professionals.
- AD-Diction 2016 Advertisement Exhibition cum competitions for inter department have been organized in the Viscom department, held on 6th October, Thursday. As a part of the activity the II yr class room walls have been painted and art works were done by the students. II year students show cased their works based on various advertising concepts in the event. Off stage and On stage events were conducted (Slogan writing, logo designing, Jingles, Teleshopping), the winners of the events were appreciated by the memento and certificates.
- One day workshop on Digital Visual effects was organised in the viscom dept for all the three year students to get industry exposure and to gain knowledge on Visual effects software by the technical expert Mr. Varan and Mr.Thirumalai from ICAT, Santhome, Chennai on 23rd September 2016.
- Seminar on Camera and Lighting techniques, by Mr. Sai prasath, Technical expert, Canon.
- Workshop on Visual effects and Compositing (software-Nuke), by Mr. Varun, Image.
- Designing newsletter (Adobe Indesign) by Mr.Manigandan, Image.
- Workshop on Post Production Techniques, by Mr. Sarathkumar, Ideal Graduate.
- Seminar on How multimedia can be used in journalism? by Ms. Rachel Savoure, Indian Institute of Journalism & New media, Mumbai.
- A Book club was inaugurated on 11th September 2015. Mr. K.S. Sethumadhavan (Film Thespian) contributed his books for the Book Club. Asst. professor Mrs .M. S Aby contributed technical books for the department.
- AD-DICTION- An Exhibition cum Competition related to advertisement, Guest lecture was part of the programme, on 16th October 2015.
- PANORA - Photography exhibition cum Contest, on 9th October 2015. Many students from in and around the city participated in the contest.
- A Movie club was started for the III yr students to get exposure to various an international movies, where they gain knowledge in script, screenplay, movement and other more technical aspects. As an initiative Roman holidaywas screened in the department AV room.
Asan Video Awards –Prestigious Short Film Festival
- Asan Video Awards is the prime event of Visual Communication department since 2006. This year we celebrated 10th AVA.
- Pioneered and mentored by Mr. K. S. Sethumadhavan and our Management Committee of Asan Memorial Association, Chennai.
- Every year we get more than 100 entries from various media institutes and colleges at national level. The competition was categorized into streams like Short Films, Documentry, Animated movies and Ad films.
- The entries were shortlisted and evaluated by the jury team headed by Mr. K.S. Sethumadhavan, Film Thespian and the members – Mr. Sasi, Film Director, Dr. Vijayaraghavan, Retd. Director Songs and Drama Division, I&B Ministry and Mr. Shivprasadh, Producer and Columnist.
- The winners and runners-up were awarded a total of Rs 60,000. The students of various colleges and intitutes won awards. Renowned film director Mr. Arivazhagan of EERAM fame was the Chief Guest of 10th AVA 2016.
11thAsan Video Awards 2017
The Department of Visual Communication, Asan Memorial College of Arts and Science organize an annual awards function called Asan Video Awards (AVA). This year’s edition will be the 11th consecutive year with the expectations going up every time. We collect entries from various colleges; institutes all over India on the following categories mentioned below and award them with cash prices and trophies.
Asan Video Awards was inducted in the year 2006 by the 1st batch of our visual communication department. It was pioneered and mentored by our pillar of strength and guide Mr. K. S. Sethumadhavan and our management committee of Asan Memorial Association, Chennai.
This year as we move onto the next decade of our unparalleled awards function, for the very first time we had the privilege of getting a team of sponsor with ICAT Design and Media College as an associate main sponsor, CADD Software institute, Revolin International Education, Lenskart.com, Kaizen software and Padma Technical Institute were our supporting co-sponsors. We had invited many media related departments, colleges, universities, film institute’s in and around the state and country.
The entries were shortlisted and evaluated by the jury team headed by Mr. K.S. Sethumadhavan and his members – Mr. Muneer Ahmed (Writer, Cinematographer, Director), Mr. Anu Mohan (Actor, Film Director) and Mr. R. Sridharan (Retd. Principal, MGR Govt. Film and TV Institute). They had found many interesting works and thought provoking films, but they had to nominate only the few for the final awards. The winners and runner-up for the awards will receive a total of Rs 60,000 as prize for their achievements.
The trophy that is awarded to them is a symbol of pride and a unique identity in the media education setup in and around the country by showing commitment towards the film industry which is an epitome of success.
Our distinguished chief guest Mr. Balaji Tharaneetharan, the celebrity and chief guest for the awards function is a critically acclaimed and an instant hit director of the film ‘Naduvula Konjam Pakkatha Kaanom’, he gave away the prizes and interacted with the gatherings present.
Winners of the 11 AVA 2017
Student Enrichment Programmes
The course would have the multi disciplinary approach like Art, Science, Technology and Management with professional touch. This course will provide contacts and opportunities for employment in Print, Film and TV industry and other corporate houses as the course comprises 40% of theory and 60% of practical aspects of visual making process.
On completion of this course, the students may get placement in,
Over the past 10 years it has produced successful alumni who are well placed in media organizations in the state and outside acting as catalysts bringing changes in mass media field. Since the inception of the department, the students have found good placement in various media organizations as well as government organizations.
|Rameez Khan (2007)||Digital Online Marketing, Dubai|
|Nisha(2014)||Reporter & Producer- Kavery News Channel|
|Mani kandan (2014)||Dinamani Reporter|
|Vishnu (2009)||Cameraman Tamil and Malayalam Film|
|Karthik(2014)||Cameraman Thanthi Tv|
|Bahul (2014)||Cameraman 2014|
|Vijayalakshmi (2014)||Producer Sharjah|
|Sanjay (2014)||Editor, Malayalam Films|
|Arthi (2013)||Fashion Designer|
|Kiren , Saju Selvam (2016)||CTS 2016|
|Arjun Allem (2013)||Higher Studies G.D at N2|
|Gowtham||Assistant Director to Mr.Rajesh|
|Vishnu (2007)||Serial Actor(Office serial)|
|Srihari (2014)||Higher studies in Journalism(Europe)|
|Elamone (2013)||Discovery Channel|
|Kaviya priya (2014)||Creative Designer, Mobius Knowledge services|
|Vignesh (2014)||Creative Designer, Kobster (e- Commerce Website)|
|Mr. Gowtham (2016)
Mr. Dennis Mathew (2016)
Mr. Mohammed Ali (2016)
To establish the link between you (alumni) and the present day students, you can feel free and come over to share your valuable work place experience with your juniors. You could inspire, motivate or help them out in their area of focus.